Monday, August 03, 2009

Valentine gets acupuncture

Many people are not aware that animals can have acupuncture and chiropractic care to help with certain medical conditions. My little dog, Valentine, had a back injury about 8 years ago. We don't know how it happened but I was fortunate enough that Dr. Perkins was a DVM at The Blue Springs Animal Hospital at that time. She had a special interest in chiropractic care in animals. She has since gone on to get all of her certifications and has opened her own clinic in Lee's Summit that specializes in western medicine, chiropractic care and acupuncture. We will refer our clients to her when our doctors feel like she could help one of our patients. I think she is amazing!

Valentine gets very weak in her hind quarters. She just doesn't get enough "umph" to get her back end up a single step some times. Her lower back will be very hot to the touch and she acts sore. I will take her to Dr. Perkins and she will work her magic and Valentine will be playing and jumping and feeling great! Keep in mind, this little gal will be 17 years old in January 2010!! I know that one photo of her on the lower left makes her booty look alittle big but in reality she only has a little chunky dunk. :) I have never had acupuncture but the needles never seem to bother Val. She will even lay down with them in and relax as you can see in the above photos. Cats are more difficult but can be helped if they are not too aggressive. In fact, Dr. Perkins had some equine (horse) patients for awhile but now, to my knowledge, she only does dogs and cats.

I just thought that I would let as many people know as I could that there are options out there for your pet. Our doctors will assess your pet with a good physical exam, we will take radiographs (x-rays) when needed and we will refer you to see Dr. Perkins if that is an option for your pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment