Sunday, April 05, 2009

Money Saving Tip for Cat Owners

The last time I purchased litter box liners I got them from a discount store & paid under $2/box and bought about 25 boxes. Needless to say, I ran out. I went out shopping for liners and realized the price has gone up considerably since I last looked!

My cat's litter box at home is roughly 7" deep by 15"wide and under 25" long. I decided instead of purchasing a box of 10 liners for $5 plus that I would buy some large trash bags. I chose the 33 gallon size (2ft 9 in x 3 ft 2.5 in .8mil) and I got 120 bags for a little over $12. I put my litter box inside the trash bag and I used a file folder rubber band to go around the rim of the litter box to hold the trash bag in place. (I purchased those at Office Depot for $3 for a box of 25) I've also found that if your trash bag is large enough that you can stretch it around the box and still rubber band it in place.  This keeps the cats from pulling in any excess part of the trash bag into the dirty litter box. I also made sure the bag laid flat against the bottom of the litter box so the cats were stepping into a solid foundation not one with a lot of "air bubbles".

When it came time to change the litter box I just removed the rubber band, turned the trash bag in on it's self so that all the dirty litter was now bagged up and ready to be tied and hauled to the trash can. If you stretch the bag then just take the rubber band off and bring the bag sides up to tie.  The rubber band can be used again. Very easy & cheap! I hope this tip helps save someone else some money too!

No comments:

Post a Comment